This year is almost gone and that means it’s time to start making those New Year’s resolutions. There are many common goals that can help you improve your life. But sometimes it’s really hard to set New Year’s resolutions that you will reach. You might be confident of success at the beginning, but when the new year comes it’s easy to forget about your goals due to your busy lifestyle or family problems. If you haven’t already decided on your goals, here are ten smart New Year’s resolutions for 2016. As boring and banal as they may sound, these resolutions can drastically change your life in the coming year.
1. Lose weightWhen it comes to New Year’s resolutions, losing weight always tops the list. Almost everyone wants to drop a few pounds. That’s especially true after the holiday season. Now is your chance to join a gym and start eating healthier. With a little hard work, you’ll slim down just in time for swimsuit season. If you are a busy mom, consider making a habit of exercising at home with your kids. You will teach your little ones to lead an active lifestyle and shed a few unwanted pounds at the same time.
2. Quit smokingSmoking is a terrible habit that can have a major impact on your health. In 2016, pluck up courage to finally stop all that lighting and puffing. You’ll save money and clean up your lungs. It’s a great path to breathing a sigh of relief in 2016. I know it’s easier said than done, but if you work hard toward that goal, you will definitely reach it.
3. Get a better jobJanuary marks the beginning of a new year. It can also mark the start of a career improvement. Check the job listings in your field and send out some resumes. You just might land the job of your dreams. This New Year’s resolution is particularly good for people who hate their jobs and can’t find their true calling. You live only once, so don’t waste your precious time on the things you don’t want to do.
4. Save moneyIt may sound cliche, but saving money is another popular goal for many families. You can cut back on nonessential items and clip coupons to save some extra cash on the stuff you really need. Put aside a little money each week and your savings account will grow substantially over time. In 2016, learn how to budget your money better and try to avoid running into debts.
5. Find true loveThere are so many lonely people these days. You may not have found the man or woman of your dreams yet, but you can’t give up on yourself. This year could be your chance for true romance. Sign up for an online dating site or start asking your friends to set up some blind dates. You never know when you’ll end up meeting your soul mate. Volunteering can also help you find your true love.
More: 10 Fun Ways to Celebrate New Year Alone
6. Organize your homeIf the clutter in your home is out of control, you don’t have to wait for spring to begin cleaning. Spend January sorting through your belongings and getting rid of what you don’t use anymore. Donate old clothing and furniture to a worthy cause. You’ll be helping an organization by getting organized. It’s a win-win solution!
7. Try something newMost of us tend to get stuck in a pattern of doing the same old thing. Break out of that rut by trying something new this year. Visit a trendy restaurant and order an exotic dish. Learn to play a musical instrument or learn a new language. No matter what activity you choose, you’re sure to enrich your life by shaking things up a bit.
8. Spend more time with your loved onesIf you’re a workaholic, this is the year to finally shift your focus to your family and friends. Instead of scheduling extra meetings and shifts, start planning trips to see your folks. Make it a priority to see your son’s soccer game or your daughter’s dance recital. Creating memories is something that money can’t buy. Work-life balance is crucial for a happier, stress-free life.
9. Get more restIn today’s fast-paced society, everyone is always busy. However, a hectic schedule can get in the way of getting the appropriate amount of rest. Starting in January, do your best to get in bed earlier and plan more time for relaxation. You’ll most likely feel rejuvenated and have fewer sick days. Make health your priority. If you’re already in your 30s, it’s crucial that you start developing healthy habits as earlier as possible.
10. Volunteer to helpIf you have a passion for something, 2016 is your time to give it the attention it deserves. Pet lovers can volunteer at a local animal shelter. Those with a love for children can help out at an after-school program. Find a cause you care about and start volunteering today. You’ll feel a sense of accomplishment by doing something positive for someone in need.
More: 10 Budget-Friendly Ways to Throw a New Year’s Eve Party
It’s a new year and that means it’s time for a new you. Any of the resolutions on this list can help you improve your life. Set a goal, make some changes and 2016 could be your best year ever. Sure, there are many more New Year’s resolutions out there that you can set. Take your time to consider your priorities and life goals. Remember, your positive attitude and strong desire will help you reach any goal in the coming year. Believe in yourself and your abilities. What are your New Year’s resolutions?