Show me someone who doesn’t have sweet cravings, and I will show you a robot. We all deserve a sweet treat, but if you are on a diet or just trying to eat a bit healthier, it’s important that you learn how to trick your sweet tooth. In fact, there are many tasty foods out there that can help satiate your sweet cravings – get creative and don’t be afraid to experiment.
I love experimenting with snacks. Snacking healthier comes with finding the healthiest food possible, so, ladies, if you have a bunch of sweet teeth, here are a few healthy snack ideas to try.
1. Dressed-up yogurtDressed-up yogurt is my favorite snack, which is rich in protein, potassium, and calcium that help keep you feeling full and healthy for hours. Take your favorite fruit-flavored (make your own at home) or plain yogurt, add coconut flakes, chopped nuts, and dark chocolate chips or cocoa nibs, and ta-da!
You’ve just got a nutritious and healthy snack that will absolutely trick your taste buds. I like a healthy strawberry yogurt with dark chocolate chips and chia seeds, and it’s so delicious!
2. Almonds and datesHave you ever mixed delicious, unexpected, and unusual foods together? Dates and almonds make a perfect snack.
Dates are packed with nutrients, and they are so sweet. And almonds have a great crunch, contain healthy fats, and go with just about everything. Enjoy almonds and dates together the next time you crave sweets to trick your sweet tooth in a jiff.
3. Banana with honey and cinnamonHoney and cinnamon add a fantastic flavor to any snack, not to mention they both have plenty of health, beauty and weight loss benefits. Although bananas are naturally sweet, when I crave something more dessert-like, I drizzle a little honey and sprinkle a little cinnamon on my banana slices for a creamy, sweet, and easy-to-make healthy snack. Almost every home has a supply of bananas, honey, and cinnamon, so you can easily make this snack when cravings strike.
4. SorbetSorbet is another tasty and healthy way to trick your sweet tooth. Sorbets make the perfect summer snack or dessert because they are refreshing, light and come in many flavors.
If you are a die-hard ice cream fan, look for rich and creamy sorbets, which are definitely worth a try. Make your own sorbet to avoid added sugars and extra calories.
5. Yogurt-dipped fruitsWhat can be easier than dipping your favorite fruit in yogurt? In summer, make this snack more refreshing by putting them in the freezer for 2 hours or until the yogurt is frozen. It’s sweet, tasty, and healthy, depending on the fruit and yogurt you choose.
Sliced bananas, apples, grapes, and strawberries make perfect choices. Opt for plain Greek yogurt to get the best benefits of both worlds.
More: 15 Worst Foods to Eat before Bedtime
6. Dark chocolate coconut waterCoconut water is a very nutritious drink that contains lots of potassium, which is needed to aid in proper hydration. There are people who like the flavor of it, but I don’t.
However, recently I tried dark chocolate flavored coconut water, and I really like it! It’s chocolaty without being overly heavy or thick, and it can help to trick your sweet tooth.
7. SmoothiesIf you read my food-related posts, you probably know how big of a fan I’m of making both green and fruit smoothies. Any smoothie is a fab healthy snack and a great meal replacement.
One of the best things about smoothies is that you can also add veggies like spinach or kale, and you absolutely can’t tell that you’re consuming greens. You can also create many different flavors by adding tasty and nutritious ingredients, such as almond butter, yogurt, seeds, or nuts, to make it thick and creamy.
8. TeaPerhaps you think that I’m crazy for suggesting tea as a sweet treat, right? But if you make it right, it will be a sweet treat that can fully satisfy your cravings.
There are many different types of teas, but make sure you choose only naturally sweet tea, or you can sweeten your tea with stevia or honey. Sometimes I even add almond milk to change the taste of black tea. Adding sweetener or milk to your tea makes a big difference.
More: 9 Incredibly Tasty Herbal Alternatives to Coffee and Tea
9. Cocoa dusted almondsIf you are a chocolate junkie, this healthy snack is a must try. Take 2 tablespoons agave syrup, 2 cups whole raw almonds, 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder and 2 teaspoons sea salt. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
Combine agave syrup, sea salt, and almonds in a large bowl. Mix together with a rubber spatula, fully coating the almonds. Spread the almonds on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for about 10 minutes.
Take the almonds out of the oven, place them back in the bowl, add cocoa powder, and toss them to coat. Let them cool and store them in an airtight container.
10. The peanut butter and jelly sandwichWho said you can’t enjoy a peanut butter and jelly sandwich while still eating healthy? Choose all-natural fruit spread and peanut butter, and enjoy it on a slice of whole-grain bread or healthy sprouted bread. Now you’ve got a delicious, healthy snack that you can eat while relaxing at home or on the go.
11. Hot chocolateOkay, I know hot chocolate is not actually a healthy snack, but it’s a fab way to beat a sweet craving! Make your own hot chocolate at home and top it off with a light whipped cream. You can also get hot chocolate at a coffee shop, but be sure to keep the serving small.
12. Dried-fruit crackers (no baking required!)If you have crackers and some dried fruit, you already have a healthy snack. I call it a lazy snack. All you should do is top each cracker with your favorite dried fruit, or even fresh fruit and voila. Since dried fruit is high in sugar, make sure you consume it in moderation.
13. Fruit jellyFruit jellies are simple and quick to make and fun to eat. While this low calorie dessert may not look satisfying, its taste is mesmerizing.
Besides, layered sparkling jelly with fruit and cream is good for kids as well. Choose whatever fruit you like, add some whipped cream – if you are on a very strict diet, then skip it – and enjoy your little dessert whenever you want it.
14. Hawaiian parfaitThis Hawaiian parfait is an amazing way to trick your sweet tooth. The great part is that you can make this delicious dessert in less than five minutes.
Start with making your own blueberry-flavored yogurt (blend some fresh or frozen blueberries with plain yogurt). Layer poi, granola, blueberries, banana slices, and drizzle with some agave or honey.
15. Chocolate and nut clustersChocolate cravings are tough to beat, at least when you don’t know if it’s a chocolate addiction or an indication of magnesium deficiency. The thing is, chocolate is an excellent source of magnesium, so craving for it each day may be a warning sign that you need to boost your magnesium intake.
Or, maybe you need a sweet treat. Anyway, chocolate and nut clusters make a fantastic snack.
Mix together ¼ cup unsalted roasted nuts (I use crumbled almonds) and 1 ounce melted chocolate (the healthiest option is definitely dark chocolate). Drop onto your wax paper and refrigerate till set.
More: 10 Things Your Cravings Say about Your Diet
There are many ways to satisfy your sweet tooth without sabotaging your diet and wrecking your health. These healthy snacks can definitely help you beat your sweet cravings in a few minutes.
These are all my favorite healthy snacks, and what is your favorite way to satisfy your sweet tooth? Feel free to share your ideas with us.