When we think of healthy drinks, what comes to mind first? Fresh juices, smoothies, and of course, herbal teas. While black tea and coffee are pretty delicious and a bit healthy drinks, they contain caffeine that can affect your overall health. Moreover, those drinks cause addiction, which means every time you skip one of them, you suffer from headaches and fatigue.
When it comes to herbal teas, many people avoid drinking them because they believe those teas aren’t tasty and healthy. Yes, herbal teas might not be for everyone. We all have different health issues and diseases, but do you think your favorite coffee does more good than harm?
Even if you’re a traditional English tea sort of girl or a coffee junkie, you’ll be impressed by these herbal alternatives that don’t taste like just hot water with a hint of some herb or fruit. Plus, you can mix it up with mint tea, fruit tea, or green tea to have a new healthy drink each day.
1. Licorice teaLicorice tea is advertised as ‘comforting.’ Maybe you won’t feel that ‘comfort,’ but still this tea has lovely scent and taste, and it’s much healthier than black tea. I enjoy curling up in front of the fire on a dark fall or winter evening with a good book and a cup of my favorite licorice tea. It tastes incredibly delicious!
2. Spearmint teaMany of us drink peppermint tea to fight stress, improve the digestive system, or simply because it’s delis. But have you ever tried spearmint tea? The taste of the tea is much sweeter, and lighter.
Every time I have a cup of spearmint tea, it reminds me of spearmint sweeties I loved when I was a child. Spearmint tea is refreshing and good for digestion and settling an upset stomach.
You can enjoy it any time during the day to help your body to adjust. You can add a little bit of sugar syrup for a sweet taste or try iced tea as a refreshing summer drink.
3. Green teaYep, green tea is a tasty alternative to coffee and black tea. We all know it. Green tea is a powerful antioxidant that helps detoxify the body and prevent premature aging. Green tea is perfect for both your skin and your waist – this drink is totally calorie-free.
While someone prefers to drink plain green tea, I usually add lemon or mix it with spearmint to make it more delicious. Drink a cup of green tea a day during the fall and winter seasons to strengthen your immune system.
4. Butter mint teaWhen you hear butter mint tea, you probably think about those buttery mints that you used to eat as a kid. But this tea doesn’t taste like this. It only has a few hints of the flavors.
The drink with vanilla and peppermint creates a real sweetshop-sensation in your mouth. Butter mint tea has a beautifully unique taste, but it isn’t easy to find it in grocery stores.
5. Lemon, honey, and ginger teaWhen we have a sore throat we usually opt for honey and lemon. It’s a great combo, but add a little bit of ginger to it, and you will have a spicy, warming, and healthy drink that helps to boost the immune system, keeps the digestive system healthy and kicks up your energy level instantly.
Try to make the tea at home instead of buying it. Store bought lemon, honey, and ginger teas have no health benefits at all.
More: 9 Surprising Ways to Use Honey
6. Rooibos teaRooibos tea, also known as Red Bush Tea, is one of the best alternatives to coffee and black tea. It comes from South Africa and is really natural, caffeine free drink that has fabulous taste and amazing health benefits.
Rooibos tea helps ease severe stomach cramps, build a strong immune system, and improve iron absorption (plus contain some iron itself). It’s chock full of powerful antioxidants and enzymes that prevent wrinkles and premature aging.
7. Jasmine Dragon Pearls teaI love the smell of Jasmine. It is so light and fragrant. Drinking jasmine tea at home is like eating out at an Asian restaurant.
You get rolled silver buds and tips of green tea with some jasmine flowers or a few ‘pearls.’ It’s a loose leaf tea.
To make a cup of tea, you need only a few ‘pearls.’ Wait 3 minutes, and your delicious drink is ready. This amazing taste of Asia in a cup will definitely make your day!
8. Blossom Earl Grey teaBlossom Earl Grey tea isn’t to everyone’s taste, but it really has fragrant aroma with the scent of orange blossom and Bergamot. Blossom Earl Grey tea is rather heady, scented tea, which is why many people avoid it.
If the powerful aroma is not yours, pick another herbal tea. Although Earl Grey tea contains caffeine, it’s still healthier than coffee and black tea.
9. Honey, chamomile, and vanilla teaA tea mix of honey, chamomile and vanilla isn’t perfect but it’s healthy. If you’re stressed out, such tea can help you relax thanks to chamomile and will give a yummy taste with sweet honey and vanilla.
If you think chamomile tea doesn’t have much taste, you should try this mix of vanilla, chamomile, and honey. It really makes the difference. Plus, it’s super healthy!
More: 9 Healthy and Tasty Green Tea Recipes to Try Today
As you see, there are plenty of delicious alternatives to coffee and black tea. All you have to do is choose the one you really like and enjoy its health benefits.
Do you ever have one of those days when you don’t know what to drink in the morning? Coffee and black tea aren’t the only morning drinks, so stay creative and opt for herbal drinks instead. Just don’t forget about moderation.