Did you know about certain nutritious and delicious foods that can help you to fight PMS? When that time of month rolls around you might want to reach for comfort food and junk food to help you cope with PMS symptoms.
But some of these foods can actually exacerbate the symptoms. Read on to find out what you should include in your eating plan during the red weeks:
1. BananasBananas are rich in potassium that is especially important when you are coping with PMS symptoms. Low potassium levels can cause cramps and impact your mood. Eat foods rich in potassium, such as bananas, cantaloupe and citrus fruits to instantly feel better.
2. Dark chocolateDark chocolate has lots of health benefits since it is an excellent source of magnesium, powerful antioxidants and crucial vitamins. Opt for dark chocolate with higher cocoa percentages (70% or above), albeit it is bitter, of course, but it’s got the most disease-fighting flavonoids and antioxidants.
3. Healthy fatsDue to the high omega-3 fatty acid content, healthy fats from olive oil, avocados, nuts and salmon can help fight and relieve PMS symptoms. Healthy fats can also help decrease common symptoms such as menstrual pain, breast tenderness, irritability and bloating.
4. AlmondsAlmonds are high in vitamin E that can help with skin concerns, breast tenderness, irritability and soreness during your period. If you do not like almonds, you can try milk, hazelnuts, avocados or eggs. Not only will these delicious foods help fight PMS symptoms, but will also help your body remove free radicals.
5. YogurtYogurt is one of my favorite snacks and one of the foods that help ladies combat PMS. Fat-free or low-fat yogurt will help balance out your calcium levels during your period.
Researchers found that some women have lower calcium levels around the time of ovulation, and that can lead to bloating and mood swings. If you crave a tasty snack, opt for yogurt instead of ice cream.
6. Brown riceBrown rice is not the tastiest food to eat, but it can really relieve the most common symptoms of PMS. It is a whole grain rich in vitamin B6, manganese and magnesium that can help to alleviate evil PMS symptoms like moodiness and irritability. If you do not like brown rice, opt for whole grain pasta or oatmeal instead.
7. BeansFinally, girls, when you are trying to cope with PMS, beans might be your safe bet. Beans are fortified with vitamin B-6 and magnesium that help with cravings, bloating, reducing water retention and mood swings. I usually eat beans with salad, add them to a pasta dish or even make soup.
Dealing with PMS symptoms is never fun, but unfortunately we can do nothing to escape them. Since we are all strong creatures, we are able to survive any pain, however why not let these healthy foods help us? One of the best things about consuming some or all of these foods is that they are super healthy for your overall health.
Ladies, what do you eat to relieve your PMS symptoms?