When your birthday falls on a major holiday, it’s tough to differentiate it from all the other celebrations. Instead of being upset that your birthday falls on New Year’s Eve, use it to your advantage.
Everyone is ready to have fun and will be more than happy to include your special day in their celebration. How you celebrate your birthday is up to you, but here are ten ideas to get you started.
1. Go to Times SquareThis is a classic idea that isn’t right for everyone. If you love big crowds, live music and freezing cold temperatures, head out to Times Square to watch the ball drop.
If you’re coming in from out of town, a hotel room close to Times Square will be expensive. Save money by staying further out and traveling into the city. Get there early, and dress warm.
2. Go out to a new restaurantIt’s a new year so why not try a new restaurant? Whether you’ve heard of a great new place an hour drive away or there’s some place nearby you’ve been meaning to try, splurge a little and enjoy a great meal. Invite a few friends or a lot of friends.
Make it a party and reserve space, or keep it small and spend the New Year’s Eve with your partner. It all depends on your celebration style. Afterward, head out to a party or go home and wait for the ball drop.
3. Find a place to danceDo you like to move? Head out to a local club. You have several hours until the clock strikes 12.
Use that time to show off your best moves and burn off any drinks and food you’ve eaten. Make sure you wear comfortable shoes and clothes that work well on the dance floor.
4. Midnight runIf you really like to move, try a midnight run. Brooklyn, Philadelphia and other cities have midnight runs set up for those who are just crazy enough to run them. Depending on where you run, dress warmly.
Brooklyn is cold this time of the year and only gets colder at midnight. Train for the run accordingly, and get ready to eat lots of good food afterward. You deserve it.
5. FireworksThe ball dropping in Times Square isn’t the only big entertainment on New Year’s Eve. Look for fireworks in your area or find a place to visit that is well-known for their New Year’s Eve fireworks like the Eiffel Tower in Paris or New Orleans.
Fireworks aren’t just for the fourth of July. Check out the fireworks where you live, and invite your friends to join you and celebrate your birthday under the lights.
6. ConcertsTimes Square is packed with concerts by big name artists, but you can find concerts all over the country on New Year’s Eve. Find your favorite band or look for an artist you haven’t heard of before. Start with a meal at a restaurant and enjoy the music while you celebrate your birthday and welcome in the coming year.
7. Take a vacationIf you have some money saved up, celebrate your birthday away from home. New York City is the first place most people think of when they hear ‘New Year’s Eve’, but you can celebrate at any special destination. Whether it’s only for a couple days or you take a week-long winter vacation, make sure you keep your birthday as the focal point.
8. Throw a partyIf you don’t want to go out, stay in and throw a party. Invite all your favorite friends that enjoy a party but that won’t ruin your special day.
Get lots of snacks, and don’t forget the alcohol. Watch the ball drop or don’t, but make sure you have someone to kiss at midnight.
9. Design your own signature drinkAt your party, design a signature drink that reminds everyone it’s your birthday. Think about what you’d like that everyone else will like, too.
Everyone will think of you anytime they have your signature drink in the future. There are many creative ideas online, but it’d be better if you create your own signature cocktail.
10. Stay at home and watch the ball dropIf you don’t like crowds but you don’t want to forget about your birthday entirely, invite a few friends or family members over and have a low-key gathering. Have lots of snacks, and watch the ball drop. Go to bed early, and wish yourself a happy birthday.
Everyone likes to celebrate their birthday differently. Even if you don’t want to believe you’re getting older, celebrating your life on one of the most celebratory days of the year will make you feel good. And don’t forget, you can always try something new next New Year’s Eve.
How are you going to celebrate your birthday this year?