Looking great doesn’t have to cost a fortune. There are many budget beauty tips you can use to look your best without having to visit high-end department stores for a $80 jar of cold cream or a $45 tube of lipstick. Here are ten budget beauty tips that every woman should know. Not only will they help you look beautiful on a budget, they will help you save money for more important things.
1. Skip the salon shampooWhen you get your hair cut, opt out of the shampoo treatment. Salons charge extra for this service, and you have the added expense of having to tip the shampoo girl as well. Wash and condition your hair thoroughly before you hit the salon and you can save anywhere from $10 to $20. Or, you can wash your hair after visiting the salon. Anyway, stay away from the salon shampoo.
2. Make your lipstick lastJust because you have worn your favorite lipstick down to a stub doesn’t mean you have to throw the tube away. Use a lipstick brush to get every last bit of lip coloring out of the container. Lipstick brushes also allow for more even application, so they are great to use all the time. It sounds ridiculous, but why not make your expensive lipstick last a bit longer?
3. Save money on facial cleanserMany of the leading cosmetics manufacturers offer their own cleansers, and they come with pretty steep price tags. The best facial cleanser is actually among the most affordable. Doctors recommend Cetaphil, which can be found at any discount drug store. It is great for all skin types, and it’s a fraction of the cost of other brands. Before buying any facial cleanser, do a little research and consult your dermatologist, if needed.
4. Make your own beauty treatmentsThe best beauty treatments actually contain ingredients you can find in your own kitchen. Olive oil and raw sugar make a cheap but effective sugar scrub. Yogurt acts as a natural moisturizer, and it can be mixed with other ingredients to create facial masks. There are lots of recipes you can find to create your own custom treatments at little to no cost.
5. Use petroleum jellyPetroleum jelly can be used for everything from lip balm to lotion. Use it to soften up hard, scaly skin on knees, elbows, and feet. Place a light layer of petroleum jelly on your eyelids before applying eye shadow to get color that lasts all day. Use petroleum jelly as a moisturizer or a makeup remover, and apply a little bit of it to your lips to make them rosy pink.
6. Shop at the drug storeDepartment store cosmetics are expensive, and they don’t contain ingredients that are different from what you will find at the drug store. Drugstore beauty products are usually safer and cheaper. You will find a wide assortment of brands, colors, and products, all at a price that won’t break the bank.
7. Save money with DIY manicuresYou don’t have to go to the salon to get professional nails. You can use tape to create a stencil for a French manicure. Use the end of bobby pins dipped in nail polish to create polka dot designs. Play up colors by painting one fingernail a different shad than the rest on each hand. Let your creative juices flow and don’t afraid to experiment!
8. Use men’s shaving creamWomen’s shaving creams and gels are more expensive than the ones you will find for men. Outside of the feminine scent, women’s shaving cream is no different than men’s, so save a few dollars every month on this essential product. If you run out of shaving cream, cheap hair conditioner can work as a substitute.
9. Save money on shampooWashing your hair every day leaves it dry and damaged, so save some money and keep your hair healthy by washing every other day or twice a week. Over-washing can seriously damage your hair. You should also make sure to use a small amount of shampoo. Even for women with long, thick hair, the amount should be no larger than the size of a quarter.
10. Visit the local beauty schoolIf you are looking for an up-do for a special event or you want a new look, you can save money by letting the students at the local beauty academy do your hair. Much of the time the service is deeply discounted, and in other cases, it’s free. Don’t worry, sometimes students can do much better up-dos than professionals.
Looking your best doesn’t have to mean spending a lot of money. With these budget beauty tips, you can look great and have money left over for a new dress or handbag. Do you think it’s okay to save money on beauty products, or it’s better to buy expensive ones? What are your budget beauty tips we all should know? Share them with us, please.