Though statistically we fail miserably at keeping our New Year’s Resolutions to get fit, there’s still hope around springtime. Study’s show that when you begin a few months after January, you’re not only more likely to keep your fitness goals, but it’s also easier to get motivated (due to better weather and the thought of fitting into a bathing suit during the warmer weather, I suppose).
This year, there are some very intriguing exercises that are perfect for getting uber-fit and toned with stronger and leaner muscles. The theme of this year’s best fitness workouts are based on one word, “FUN!” No one wants to do boring workouts anymore. People want something that will be fun and that keeps you motivated to go back and do it again and again.
These 10 workouts for spring and summer are just that – super fun, electrifying, challenging and will whip your body into shape in no time flat.
1. AntiGravity FitnessPossibly the most visually mesmerizing form of exercise is AntiGravity. Think Cirque Du Soleil meets yoga. You’re basically hanging from a hammock like sheet that provides resistance and makes use of your body weight to strengthen muscles. It not only stretches and tones, but it’s also so much fun. Added bonus: hanging upside down makes you feel like a kid again and provides ample blood flow to the brain for enhanced cognitive function.
2. PlaycoreSpringtime often comes with great weather. If you’ve lost motivation working out inside a gym, try these essentially “adult playgrounds” that are springing up nationwide. They are typically found in outdoor community parks and have various pulleys, bars and stationary workout equipment. These are not the old school bars and benches from the ‘80’s. They are new, high-tech, fun fitness equipment and programs that you can do alone or with workout groups that are making use of Playcore as well.
3. Animal FlowAnimal Flow takes yoga and blends animal-like movements with a capoeira-esque feel. From the “Beast” to the “Crocodile,” this new intriguing form of exercise gets you in ‘play-mode’ and is a really incredible workout.
4. Pound FitIf you love music, drumming and fitness – meet Pound Fit. Created by two female drummers who infused workout movements with drumming to birth an innovative and upbeat fitness routine. The “drumsticks” have a little heft to them which act as semi-weights that strengthen not only your arms but also directs the impact directly to your core. The joy of drumming makes you forget that it’s actually a workout and you’re left feel elated.
5. Paddleboard yogaThis may not be for everyone, but if you love the ocean, surfing and yoga – this may be perfect for you. You definitely want to start with a certified instructor as this can be challenging, but the results on the body are phenomenal!
6. ToniqueThis upiddy workout was created by a sweet, fun-loving mother from Poland named Sylwia Wiesenberg. Her enthusiasm for life and fitness is motivation for many women to live the ‘Tonique lifestyle.’ Sylwia aims to empower and motivate women to be confident and live a healthier lifestyle through Tonique. Tonique was inspired by movements from Sylwia’s background in gymnastics and involves multi-directional movements that target muscles that are not typically hit so hard. The workout involves an excruciating 30-40 reps per side, but the results are unbelievable!
7. Interval YogaWe’ve all heard of HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training), but when it’s combined with yoga, it makes for a complete and whole body workout. Yoga Instructor, Ali Kamenova, known for Interval Yoga has posted an impressive array of classes on youtube that involve often slightly shorter sequences to keep you motivated. She also throws in movements that are pretty unique that increase both flexibility and boost your heart rate, causing major calorie burn.
8. TabataTabata was created by a Japanese scientist named Dr. Izumi Tabata and his team of scientists from the National Institute of Fitness and Sports in Tokyo. Tabata is HIIT training, but on “steroids.” His plan is simple, workout super hard in 20 second bursts, then rest for 10 seconds. Tabata is an amazing workout if you have a limited amount of time for exercise. It’s also scientifically proven to have a greater impact on both aerobic and anaerobic systems.
9. Acro YogaThis “partner yoga” of sorts is a way to deeply connect with another while establishing trust and a profound bond. This play between two individuals strengthens and stretches the body, but also is so much more fun than a solo workout routine.
10. Buti YogaSome people argue that you need to compliment a yoga practice with a separate cardio workout. Not anymore with celebrity trainer Bizzie Gold’s Buti Yoga. It combines tribal dance with yoga and plyometrics to create a high-intensity workout that will definitely get your inner-fire burning at maximum capacity. With this form of yoga, you won’t need to add in any additional cardio because it involves lots of dance movements that will cause you to sweat like no other.
Exciting and fun exercise methods are so ‘in’ right now. Instead of classes where you are tempted to quit out of boredom, these methods keep you motivated and much more likely to stick with. Here’s to movement forms that are entertaining, lively and most of all… enjoyable!